Green-Schools, known internationally as Eco-Schools is an international environmental education programme, environmental management system and award scheme that promotes and acknowledges long-term, whole school action for the environment.
We at Ballyclough NS. have a very active Green School Committee. We have recently received our fifth green Flag for Biodiversity for which we as a school put a lot of work into over the past two years. Prior to this we received flags for Litter & Waste, Energy Conservation, Water Conservation and Travel. We are very proud of the work our staff and pupils have done to foster a respect for the environment and the need to look after it. We are always looking for opportunities to “think green” and improve our local environment and energy consumption!
Benefits of Green-Schools:
- An opportunity to help develop students’ decision-making skills;
- An opportunity to build students’ confidence and sense of citizenship through participation
- Curriculum materials and ideas for projects and events
- Access to a network of support agencies
- Links with other schools in Ireland and internationally
- A prestigious and internationally recognised award
- Opportunities for local and national publicity
- Reduction of waste and litter, reduced energy and water consumption levels;
- Improved school environment
- Opportunity to involve the local community