Our garden is one of the most popular areas of our school for our pupils. We are lucky to have a large outdoor area within our school with part of this begin dedicated to our school garden. Our school garden started over ten years ago and it has developed and grown since. Each year the school takes parts in the Muintir na Tíre gardening competition and we have won various awards for our garden over the past number of years. Our garden consists of a variety of different garden beds, two poly-tunnels, a pond and a contains a variety of entertaining up-cycled elements.
Each class gets the opportunity to grow plants or fruits and vegetables. Our garden gang help with the maintenance of our garden on a regular basis. The garden is a great link to the community as many people and parents are involved in it’s upkeep. All the fruit and vegetables grown within the garden are used by our senior classes, garden gang and health promotion committee to cook tasty meals for the pupils within the school at various times throughout the school year.
Benefits of Gardening
- Students learn focus and patience, cooperation, teamwork and social skills.
- They gain self-confidence and a sense of “capableness” along with new skills and knowledge in food growing
- Students can see a product going from garden to table. Many items grown by our students are used by our students to create a wide variety of dishes throughout the school year.
- Garden-based teaching addresses different learning styles and intelligences.
- Students become more fit and healthy as they spend more time active in the outdoors and develop a sense of appreciation for healthy foods over junk food.
- The schoolyard is diversified and beautified.
- The school garden is a peaceful and mindful place within our school and creates a sense of wellbeing for many of our students.