Active Schools Flag
The Active School Flag is a Department of Education and Skills initiative and it is awarded to schools that strive to achieve a physically educated and physically active school community. We are currently in the process of trying to be awarded our first Active School Flag. Our Active School Committee
The flag is a whole-school initiative so parental involvement is essential. Our Active School team is composed of pupils, parents and staff, and we also have a bank of parent volunteers to call on for help with various activities on an ongoing basis. We appreciate that not every parent is available to help ‘on the ground’ but we encourage you to support this important initiative by encouraging your son to be as active as possible both in and out of school.
Active-Schools Activities with our school:
- The National Curriculum allows for one hour of Physical Education per week. We teach all six strands each year: Athletics, Games, Dance, Gymnastics, Outdoor & Adventure Activities and Aquatics (from 1st class)
- Along with with the allocated time for Physical Education each class takes part in regular movement breaks throughout the school day such as Go Noodle
- During break times the children get to experience a variety of different play areas within the school the school grounds, such as soccer, basketball, bean bags & hoops and free play areas.
- Various school initiatives throughout the school year such as Walk to School, Cycle to School, Sprints for Summer, Laps for Lent, Active Schools Week.
- Outside coaches
- Our school tours are mostly activity based which the children love.
- Various sports outings for GAA, soccer, athletics and swimming.